FYS-2020 Radiation physics - 10 ECTS
Admission requirements: Generell studiekompetanse eller realkompetanse + Matematikk R1 eller (S1+S2) og enten Matematikk (R1+R2) eller Fysikk (1+2) eller Kjemi (1+2) eller Biologi (1+2) eller Informasjonsteknologi( 1+2) eller Geologi (1+2) eller Teknologi og forskningslære (1+2).
Local admission, application code 9336 - enkeltemner i realfag.
Recommended prerequisites: FYS-1002 Electromagnetism, MAT-1001 Calculus 1
Knowledge - The student can
- Describe the atomic nuclei and its properties.
- Describe interaction of photon and charged particles with matter.
- Understand radiation interaction processes applied to a macroscopic scale.
- Understand the fundamental theory for dosimetric measurements.
- Describe principles for detection and characterization of radiation.
- Describe basic biological effects of radiation on cellular and macroscopic scale.
- Define basic radiation protection measures.
Skills - The student can
- Calculate probabilities and energy transfer for interactions involving photons and charged particles.
- Use appropriate units of measurement for the attenuation and energy deposition of radiation.
- Perform detection and measurements of radiation.
- Apply theoretical understanding to assess biological effects of radiation.
- Take precautions to ensure safe working conditions in environments where ionizing radiation or radiating sources are used.
General competence - The student can
- Explain the negative and positive potential of radiation in health and healthcare.
- Describe various applications of radiation from a theoretical viewpoint.
- Understand fundamental principles required for continued work and studies with radiation in medical physics.
Required coursework: The course requires participation in the laboratory exercises, which includes a mandatory safety component. The safety component must be approved for access to exam.
Examination and assessment: Portfolio assessment of up to 5 assignments counting about 40% and a final 4-hours written examination counting about 60%. The total number of assignments will be set by the lecturer in beginning of the semester.
All parts of portfolio are assessed as a whole and one combined grad will be given
Assessment scale: Letter grades: A-F. Fail - F.
Re-sit examination (section 22): There is no access to a re-sit examination in this course.
Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination. Both postponed project assignments and postponed written examination will be arranged during the semester if possible, otherwise early in the following semester.
See indicated sections in "Regulations for examinations at the UiT" for more information.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2020
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi