ENG-1122 Introduction to Literature - 10 ECTS
The student has:
- An understanding of generic conventions and innovative techniques that contribute to the development of several literary forms, such as poetry, short stories, novels and plays
The student is able to:
- Read critically and interpret a variety of literary texts
- Recognize and use terminology related to the formal analysis of literature
- Explain ideas in a succinct, coherent manner and support them with close readings of texts
- Express complex ideas in precise and correct English
13 weeks of teaching and 1 week of academic supervision.
Quality assurance: All courses undergo a halfway evaluation once in a 3-year period at the bachelor's level. The Programme Board determines which programme options will be evaluated per year, and which courses will be evaluated by the students and the teacher per year.
The following coursework requirements must me completed and approved in order to take the final exam:
- An essay (1200-1500 words) that focuses on one or two of the literary works on the reading list, plus a rough draft for the essay. All written works is based on the following standard: Times New Roman, 12, 1,5, 2,5 cm.
- Students must also complete the iKomp course offered through the library while enrolled in this course (http://ikomp.no/)
The exam will consist of:
- A 6-hour written (digital) school exam in WISEflow.
Performance in the course will be assessed on an A-F grades scale. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed. A re-sit examination is offered in the event of an F grade. The deadline to register (in the Studentweb) for a re-sit examination is January 15th (for the autumn semester).