På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
HEL-3006 Introduction to Epidemiology and Biostatistics - 10 ECTS
Knowledge The students should be able to define central principles in epidemiology, including important concepts in demography, and be able to explain the benefits and drawbacks of various epidemiological study designs. The students should further be able to explain basic statistical concepts in univariate, bivariate and multiple analysis.
Skills and competences The students should be able to:
- apply central concepts in epidemiology and demography
- identify the study design used in scientific medical papers
- select the correct type of epidemiological and statistical data analyses for a given data set
- use descriptive measures, one- and two-sample tests (t-tests, chi-square tests and non-parametric tests), correlation and linear regression
- use SPSS for data editing and statistical analyses
- interpret the results from the statistical and epidemiological analyses, showing a basic understanding of relative and absolute risks, p-values and confidence intervals
Attendance to lectures and seminars is mandatory.
The students have to pass two written home assignments before they are allowed to take the exam. The assignments are individual exercises, and will be handed out between the 1st and 2nd session, and between the 2nd and 3rd session. The students will have two weeks to complete assignments, which will be graded as approved or not approved. The assignments should be handed in online.
The final exam consists of a six hours written university based digital exam. The exam will be held using computers through online exam module (if not otherwise stated). Students must pass the mandatory assignments before being eligible to take the exam. The assignments and the exam can be written in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English. For the exam - Grading scale: A-E equals passed, F equals failed.
If a student fails the course, an examination re-sit will be organised. Students with valid absence from the exam will be offered a re-scheduled examination.