HEL-3066 Protocol Development for MPH Thesis - 10 ECTS
The course is reserved as an optional course for students enrolled in the MPH program directly, or through our exchange programs indirectly.
Even though this course is not mandatory, it is highly recommended for students at the MPH programme. Full time students will take the course after having completed the two first MPH program semesters. Part time students should plan the course no later than the semester before the Masters Thesis writing. For all students it is a requirement to have a thesis project outlined, and have a supervisor ready before taking this course.
The main aim of this course is the development of a complete and detailed scientific protocol for the Masters Thesis in the MPH program.
- Protocol outline
- Protocol template
- Study design
- Scientific writing
- Advanced and systematic critical appraisal methods
- Protocol specific literature reviews
- Group and peer supervision
- Develop research topics
- Develop research questions (hypothesis)
- Statistical methods (if applicable)
On successful completion of the course, the student should:
- be able to demonstrate the structure of a scientific protocol
- know key criteria for good protocols
- critically evaluate the scientific content of their protocols
- critically read and evaluate scientific articles within health sciences
- properly evaluate literature against their own writing
- know the basics of scientific writing
- be able to develop research questions
- be able to formulate hypotheses
The course will include didactic teaching such as lectures, students working in small and large groups, as well as interactive discussions and feedback sessions with student fewllows, teachers and supervisors. A mixture between teacher-led and student-led activities throughout the course and students are expected to actively and dynamically participate in all course activities and provide feedback ans supervision to fellow students. Individual knowledge assimilation enhancement is required. Students are expected to hand in a brief project description in advance of the course start up (before the end of the spring semester).
- Prior to course start up, the student submits an outline (1 page) of the MPH thesis project (as part of HEL-3050, submitted by the end of the spring semester before).
- Compulsory attendance (attendance on at least 80 % of educational activities required).
- Active participation in lectures and group sessions is required.
- The course has 2-3 gatherings during the semester
- Attendance to lectures and seminars
- After the first gathering, the students must complete a home assignment that requires critical appraisal of 10 articles within their chosen field.
- Before the third gathering, the students submit a complete outline of the protocol. Maximum five pages.
Attendance and the two home assignments are required before attending the exam.
After the course, the students have 3 weeks to complete individual home exams consisting of a complete protocol (maximum 10 pages) and a critical appraisal of their own protocol (including proper justifications) Grading scale: passed / not passed.
If a student fails the course, an re-sit examination will be organized. Students with valid absence from the exam will be offered a re-scheduled examination.
Date for examinationTake-home examination hand out date 04.11.2019 hand in date 25.11.2019
The date for the exam can be changed. The final date will be announced in the StudentWeb early in May and early in November.