INF-3200 Distributed Systems Fundamentals - 10 stp
- Knowledge of the main topics of distributed systems at an introductory level.
- Knowledge of the central challenges of distributed systems, their behavior, characteristics, advantages and disadvantages.
- Knowledge of the primary ideas, architectures, designs, and implementations of distributed systems
- Knowledge of some select cases of distributed systems
- The best way to learn how to build distributed systems is by practice, and so an important part of the course is a substantial distributed system design and implementation project.
- Skills in systems-level programming. How to build a working prototype of a non-trivial distributed system including its architecture, design, and implementation.
- Skills in the languages, frameworks, and tools used to build a prototype distributed system
- Skills to analyze real distributed systems, and identify central characteristics including performance scaling.
- Skills in presenting a system, giving a demonstration of it, and identify lessons learned.
- Competence in selecting a suitable set of programming languages, frameworks, and tools for a given problem domain.
- Competence in asking relevant questions about computer based systems.
Oral exam counting 100%. Approved assignments give access to the final oral exam.
Course requirements: The coursework includes up to 3 written programming assignments graded "Approved" / "Not approved". Oral presentation of the assignments and demonstration of a working system can be claimed.
Grading scale: Letter grades A-F.
It will not be given a re-sit exam for this course, unless a postponed exam already is arranged (conditional re-sit exam). To get access to the exam the student must have passed the course requirements.
The exam will be arranged as soon as practicably possible after the reasons for absence have ceased, and normally no later than two months after a new semester has commenced. It will be arranged an oral exam counting 100%. To get access to the postponed exam the student must have passed the course requirements.
For further details see:
- Utfyllende bestemmelser for eksamener ved Fakultet for naturvitenskap og teknologi (only in Norwegian)
- Regulations for examinations at the UiT