På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
ENG-1014 English in Use - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries: 1 December for the spring semester and 1 June for the autumn semester.
Exchange students and Fulbright students: 1 October for the spring semester and 15 April for the autumn semester.
Application code: 9199 - Enkeltemner (ikke realfag), lavere grad (Nordic applicants).
This course may be taken as a single course. A good command of oral and written English is recommended.
This course was designed for Norwegian students, and therefore has a Norwegian-English contrastive perspective. However, non-Norwegian students who wish to learn some more English are also welcome to take the course, although some types of exercises may be specifically aimed at Norwegian-speaking students and therefore difficult to do for non-speakers of Norwegian.
The students have the following learning outcomes:
- have learnt practical use of grammar
- have knowledge of basic differences between Norwegian and English and in particular of those differences that cause problems in language learning
- know correct English usage in different contexts and situations
- know how our choice of words and constructions is influenced by non-linguistic factors such as style, text type and context.
- have improved their language skills
- are able to use grammar to explain mistakes and correct and improve texts
- have acquired new words and expressions
- have experienced holding an oral presentation.
The obligatory coursework requirements must be approved in order to take the final exam.
3 shorter assignments + one 7-10 minute oral presentation. Coursework requirements will be evaluated as approved/not approved.
A 4-hour written, digital school exam in WISEflow
Performance in the course will be assessed on an A-F grades scale. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed. A re-sit examination is offered in the event of an F grade. The deadline to register for a re-sit examination (in the Studentweb) is August 15th (for the spring semester).