På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
BIO-3614 Basic and applied microalgae I - 10 ECTS
Local admission, application code 9336 - master's level singular course. Admission requires a bachelor's degree (180 ECTS) or equivalent qualification, with a major in biology, biotechnology or chemistry of minimum 80 ECTS.
Recommended prerequisites: One or several of following courses (or equivalent): BIO-1501 Akvatisk Økologi, BIO-2001 Fysiologi I, BIO-2513 Marin Biodiversitet, BIO-2601 Generell mikrobiologi, BIO-2606 Generell og marin bioteknologi, BIO-2010 Marine Ecology, BIO-3504 Production and Growth in Polar Areas
- The course aims to give the students knowledge of «de facto» microalgae science relevant to the new emerging frontiers in bioenergy/biotechnology/CCU-applications.
- This includes selected basic microalgae taxonomy, physiology and ecology themes, with special focus on northern temperate and Arctic biota.
- Analysis/laboratory methods relevant to the themes listed above are also included, with special focus on biomass.
- Be able to communicate a thorough understanding of microalgae as primary producers in an ecological as well as commercial biorefinery mass production context.
- Be able to combine environmental and chemical/biological parameters in a quantitative way, i.e. to be able to perform simple mathematical dynamical modeling of ecological as well as biorefinery processes.
- Gain competence that allows for a necessary understanding of the quantitative aspects of ecology, stress, biochemistry and biorefinery processes.
Oral exam. Grade: Pass/Fail.
Coursework requirements: In order to attend exam, students must fulfill three coursework requirements: 1. Attendance at 90% of the lectures/seminars 2. Submission of one written (practical) project 3. Submission of a report presenting results from selected model scenarios.
Re-sit: A re-sit exam is arranged in the next semester.