BIO-8015 Arctic Marine Pollution - 10 ECTS
PhD students or holders of a Norwegian master´s degree of five years or 3+ 2 years (or equivalent) may be admitted. PhD students must upload a document from their university stating that there are registered PhD students. This group of applicants does not have to prove English proficiency and are exempt from semester fee.
Holders of a Master´s degree must upload a Master´s Diploma with Diploma Supplement / English translation of the diploma. Applicants from listed countries must document proficiency in English. To find out if this applies to you see the following list:
For more information on accepted English proficiency tests and scores, as well as exemptions from the English proficiency tests, please see the following document:
PhD students register for the course through StudentWeb. The registration for autumn semester starts in the middle of June.
Other applicants apply for admission through SøknadsWeb. Application code 9303.
Contact Ingjerd Gauslaa Nilsen at the BFE-faculty if you have troubles or questions regarding registration to the course.
The course is based on the same lectures as BIO-3009, in addition to writing a scientific essay to deepen understanding of pollution and ecotoxicology in Arctic ecosystems. The topic of the essay is defined together with each student and the course responsible.
The course focuses upon principles of ecotoxicology (contaminant transport, uptake by organisms, effects). Classes of pollutants of concern in Arctic environments as well as other man made impacts (eutrophication, acidification etc). Pollutants are introduced along with their presence/effects in Arctic environments and in relation to climate change impacts and environmental management. The objective of the course is to aquire an holistic understanding of ecotoxicology and specialized issues linked to Arctic ecosystems and environmental management. Learn how to give a good oral presentation based on scientific literature, learn to search for relevant scientifc literature, read scientific publications critically and write an scientific essay.
- Holistic understanding of ecotoxicology and specialized issues linked to Arctic ecosystems and environmental management.
- Pollutant classes of concern, their transport and presence in the Arctic as well as effects on ecosystems
- Environmental management in Arctic regions
- Special topics: climate change, ocean acidification, eutrophication
- Learn how to give a good oral presentation based on scientific literature
- Learn to search for relevant scientifc literature,
- Read scientific publications critically
- Write a scientific essay.
- Critical reading
- Holistic approach to ecotoxicological science