ENG-1014 English in Use - 10 ECTS
This course may be taken as a single course. A good command of oral and written English is required.
This course was designed for Norwegian students, and therefore has a Norwegian-English contrastive perspective. However, non-Norwegian students who wish to learn some more English are also welcome to take the course, although some types of exercises may be specifically aimed at Norwegian-speaking students and therefore difficult to do for non-speakers of Norwegian.
The students have the following learning outcomes:
- have learnt practical use of grammar
- have knowledge of basic differences between Norwegian and English and in particular of those differences that cause problems in language learning
- know correct English usage in different contexts and situations
- know how our choice of words and constructions is influenced by non-linguistic factors such as style, text type and context.
- have improved their language skills
- are able to use grammar to explain mistakes and correct and improve texts
- have acquired new words and expressions
- have experienced holding an oral presentation.
The obligatory coursework requirements must be approved in order to take the final exam.
3 shorter assignments + one 7-10 minute oral presentation. Coursework requirements will be evaluated as Approved/not-approved.
4-hour school exam
Performance in the course will be assessed on an A-F grades scale. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed. A re-sit examination is offered in the event of an F grade. The deadline to register for a re-sit examination is January 15th for the autumn semester and August 15th for the spring semester.
Compendium: Eng-1014 English in Use/Engelsk i bruk.
Dypedahl, Magne, Hilde Hasselgård & Berit Løken, Second edition 2012. Introducing English Grammar. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget. ISBN 978-82-450-1291-0
Exercises - handouts.
Secondary Reading (Reccommended Literature):
Swan, Michael. 2016. Practical English Usage. 4th revised edition. ISBN 978-0-19-420243-5. OUP
or: with online access 1 year: ISBN 978-0-19-420241-1
(or: Swan, Michael. 2005. Practical English Usage. 3rd ed., OUP).