BIO-2508 Aquaculture I - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Admission requirements are generell studiekompetanse + REALFA.
Application code: 9336
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
All applicants: The course requires basic knowledge in biology and ecology at university level. Basic knowledge in chemistry and mathematics is an advantage.
The course will give students an introduction to the culture of aquatic organisms, based on biological and technological prerequisites for individual species.
Students having completed Bio-2508 Aquaculture I:
- Have broad theoretical knowledge on world aquaculture productions, from cultured plants to fish
- Can describe farming techniques of species common to the Norwegian aquaculture industry
- Have knowledge on basic principles of fish breeding, nutrition and health.
- Have understanding of hatchery techniques based on the biological and technological prerequisitesfor individual species.
- Are able to read and understand scientific literature
Four hour written exam. A graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail. The excursion is mandatory. Coursework requirement: Excursion report. In order to sit an examination, the student must complete and gain approval for any coursework requirements.
There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.