The Department of Language and Culture at UiT – The Arctic University of Norway is pleased to announce two scholarships of 100 000 NOK to support exceptionally talented students who would like to pursue a Master’s degree in Theoretical Linguistics at UiT. The scholarships are awarded to support the students through the first year of the degree (2019/2020), which involves coursework. Two more scholarships will be announced next year to support two talented students through the work on the Master’s theses in the academic year 2020/2021. All the students registered on the programme are eligible to apply for the Master’s thesis scholarship. As UiT does not charge a tuition fee, the scholarship is meant to cover living expenses.
Who can apply?
- International applicants must have applied to and been accepted on the MA in Theoretical Linguistics in order to be considered for the scholarships.
- Nordic applicants must have applied to the MA in Theoretical Linguistics in order to be considered for the scholarships, and any offer will be made contingent on the applicant being accepted onto the programme.
- Only applicants with a strong academic record may apply. See the evaluation criteria for more information.
How to apply?
- Applicants have to fill in an electronic application form (international students / Nordic students)
- All applicants have to upload (i) a motivation letter of approximately 500 words where they specify why they want to study Theoretical Linguistics at UiT and how this fits in with their career plans, and (ii) letters of reference from two former professors with contact details.
- Nordic applicants also have to upload a verified transcript of their grades.
The applications will be evaluated by a committee consisting of the head of the board of study and two other members of faculty.
In the evaluation the following criteria will be considered:
- Documented academic achievements. For applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in Europe, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand, an average grade equivalent to B or better (in the Norwegian grading system) in the coursework in the relevant field (80 ECTS) is required. For applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in countries other than the above-mentioned region/countries, an average grade equivalent to A (in the Norwegian grading system) in the coursework (80 ECTS) is required.
- Motivation letter
- Letters of reference from former professors (2)
- To what extent the profile of the applicant is compatible with the study programme.
The grants will only be awarded if there are applicants who fulfil the evaluation criteria.
The application deadline is April 1st (at 23:59 Central European Time) for international applicants and April 15th (at 23:59 Central European Time) for Nordic applicants.
Award and conditions
Successful applicants will be notified by email by April 20th at the latest. The grant will be paid out when the beneficiary has arrived at UiT, registered for the required courses, and has opened a Norwegian bank account. It will be paid out in four instalments, contingent on the continued participation and progress of the recipient.
If you have any further questions regarding the scholarships in Theoretical Linguistics, please contact:
- The head of the programme board: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sist oppdatert: 12.02.2019 14:07