END-3602 Modern Materials and Computations - 7.5 ECTS
The course will give the students an understanding of modern materials and material structures, especially the sandwich structures, and applications of such. Analytical calculations of sandwich structures and numerical computations using the finite element method on different structures, systems and components are also important parts of the course.
In detail, the students will:
- learn about different types of modern materials and structures and their properties.
- design sandwich constructions; including calculate deflections, stiffness and strength, stresses and strains of a sandwich construction.
- analyze and implement inhomogenous material structures with special focus on periodic structures and perform numerical solutions for such structures.
- use the finite element program Ansys to analyze some engineering problems.
- calculate and compare analytical and numerical solutions, by using the finite element program Ansys, for different problems of interest.
After completing the course, the student:
- has some knowledge within the academic field of mathematics, physics and engineering and specialized insight in a limited area within the field of engineering design (K1)
- has some knowledge of different theories and methods in the field of engineering design (K2)
- can analyze and deal critically with information and use them to structure and formulate scholarly arguments (S1)
- can carry out an independent, limited research or development project under supervision and in accordance with applicable norms for research ethics (S4)
- can communicate extensive independent work and masters language and some terminology of the academic field of engineering design (GC3)
- can communicate about academic issues, analyses and conclusions in the field of engineering design, both with specialists and the general public (GC4)
Regular lectures (may be in the virtual classroom by e.g. Teams and Zoom), project work and video lectures. The course will be lectured every year.
More information will be published in Canvas.
Teaching and Examination Language: Lecturing language is set to Norwegian unless international students are present. The report can be written in either Norwegian or English.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements. Please see the Admission requirements" section".
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412.
Deadline: 15th April
|Examination systems:||Duration:||Grade scale:|
|Oral exam||40 Minutes||Passed / Not Passed|
|Coursework requirements – To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:|
|Report||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 7.5
- Course code: END-3602
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for datateknologi og beregningsorienterte ingeniørfag
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet