ENG-3992 Master's Thesis in English Literature - 60 ECTS
The master's degree is a piece of independent research on a limited topic within English literature.
The topic of research will be decided upon in collaboration with a member of the English section. The thesis could also be written as either, part of a broader research project, or may build on one of the courses taught.
All written work is based on the following standard: Times New Roman, 12, 1,5, 2,5 cm. The thesis should be a theoretically informed work of 70-100 pages in length (about 2000 characters per page). Illustrations, graphs and the like are not normally included, but may be added as appendices.
Each semester of registration for ENG-3992, the student is expected to present his or her thesis project and offer feedback on other projects during Works-in-Progress Seminars organized by the English literature section.
The master´s degree thesis is due by 15 May for evaluation in the spring semester and, 1 November for evaluation in the autumn semester in Munin http://munin.uit.no/
Students will have gained the following learning results upon satisfactory course completion:
The student has:
- a thorough knowledge of and greater understanding of a defined area of the subject
- knowledge of current ethical requirements and guidelines within the field of research
The student is able to/can:
- formulate a question of enquiry and prepare a methodical plan for investigating the enquiry of research
- master literature searches and the proper use of research literature
- analyse data from the investigation, and discuss and draw conclusions about the research enquiry.
- write an extensive project where the language is well formulated and correct in usage
- developed the ability to discuss critically and with a theoretical and methodical basis
- become capable of carrying out independent project work, solve problems by preparing, organising and discussing an extensive material based on a suitable set of methods.
New master's degree students will be assigned a contact person from within the specialist teachers. The contact person will advise on the master's degree requirements and suggest potential supervisors. A supervisor will be assigned once a thesis topic is selected.
Supervision will be given individually and, in certain cases, in small groups.
Full time students have the right to supervision for up to two years. Part time students with a study progression of 50%, have the right to "half" supervision for four years. Supervision beyond this is not given.
|Assignment||Innlevering: 01.11.2022 kl. 23:59||A–E, fail F|
Work requirementTo take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Project presentation||Approved/ Not approved|
The master's degree thesis will be evaluated with a grade as a written examination once it has been submitted. In addition to a grade, a written comment from the censors will be given, outlining the positive and less positive aspects of the thesis.
In the case of collaborated work by a group of two or three students, all members of the group have responsibility for the thesis, and all contributors of the group will receive the same grade.
The master's thesis is due by May 15th for evaluation in the spring semester and, November 1st for evaluation in the autumn semester in Munin.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 60
- Course code: ENG-3992
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: email@example.com
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet