GEO-3104 Advanced Structural Geology - 5 ECTS
Bachelor's degree in geology, or a similar degree following a programme of study of at least three years duration, or similar education approved in accordance with the Norwegian Universities Act section 3-4. In addition, specialization in geology worth the equivalent of at least 80 ECTS credits is required. Normally, an average mark of C or better is required at the bachelor's degree level or other programme for basis of admission.
Application code: 9371.
The student has
- knowledge of the basic principles of strain analysis
- knowledge of brittle structures and their stress prientation
- understanding of the pysics and processes of viscous deformation
- understanding of the machanical conditions of the different types of deformation structures
- knowledge of basic fold theory
- understanding of different deformation processes
The student can
- use structural data, observations, and theoretical knowledge to study rocks.
- recognize different geological structures in the field.
- analyze the structures in terms of strain (viscous structures) or stress orientations (brittle structures).
- analyze fold patterns and fold shapes.
- recognize different deformation processes and their temperature conditions.
- use macro- and mesoscale structures, and kinematic indicators to analyze the mechanical conditions and deformaton history.
- describe and analyze structural elements from field observations.
- use stereographic projections to analyze superposed folding histories.
The student can
- carry out the most important elements of structural geological research projects: penetrating literature, carrying out field research, analyzing data, and communicating results to fellow students/scientists.
- solve problems analytically and quantitatively and present the results in written English.
- work independently and in a team.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
|School exam||21.11.2022 09:00||4 Hours||A–E, fail F|
To take an examination, the student must have passed the following coursework requirements:
|Practical 1||Approved/ Not approved|
|Practical 2||Approved/ Not approved|
|Practical 3||Approved/ Not approved|
|Practical 4||Approved/ Not approved|
|Practical 5||Approved/ Not approved|
|Practical 6||Approved/ Not approved|
|Practical 7||Approved/ Not approved|
|Field report||Approved/ Not approved|
|Safety training||Approved/ Not approved|
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: GEO-3104
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for geovitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet