SOA-1006 Arctic Norway - Aspects of Culture - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Generell studiekompetanse
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English.
A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the web site from the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education (NOKUT). For language requirements we refer to
Application code: 9199 (Nordic applicants).
Du vil få en reduksjon i antall studiepoeng (som oppgitt under), dersom du avlegger eksamen i dette emnet og har bestått følgende emne(r) fra før av:SVF-6011 Samisk kulturkunnskap med fokus på lulesamisk område 10 stp
SOA-1005 Anthropological perspectives on Saami society and culture 5 stp
The anthropological perspective in the course focuses on cultural and political dynamics in the region as they unfold between people of Saami, Norwegian and Finnish origins with main focus on the Saami situation. Historical processes of dialogic transformation, and changing public policies, are related to contemporary manifestations of cultural variations and ethnic revitalisation.
After a period of Norwegian enforcement of Saami assimilation, the cultural and ethnic revitalisation now taking place signifies a major change in ethnic relationships in the North. Different aspects of this general political development will be debated.
The course considers social, cultural and religious characteristics that may impact minority, economic and political position, complexities in identity formation and different types of representation.
Students who have successfully completed the course should have achieved the following learning outcome:
- have basic knowledge about the cultural complexity of Northern Norway with special focus on the historical and contemporary situation of the minorities of the region
- have basic knowledge of the main ecological adaptive strategies over time, and some basic knowledge of the complexity and varying challenges in economics, cultural expressions and rights issues in a global context
- have skills in reading ethnographic texts and other scientific papers and relating them analytically to each other
- have skills in analysing different types of representations with special focus on museum exhibitions
- improved analytical competence and particularly analytically understanding of processes related to cultural similarities and differences in the area of focus
- have competence in communicating and discussing different explanations of social phenomena
- be able to use concepts and theories related to ethnicity in their analysis in further study
There are no academic prerequisites to add this module in your Learning Agreement
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: SOA-1006
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for samfunnsvitenskap
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet