HIF-3211 Arctic Images - 10 ECTS
This course is a flexible, hybrid online and campus-based course that welcomes participation from external as well as campus students.
The course is elective within the MA-programme in Art history. It may be taken as an elective course within other MA-programmes at UiT and by international students at UiT that hold a BA-degree, or equivalent degree, in the humanities.
You will have the following learning outcomes:
- a thorough knowledge of art related to the Arctic, from the 17th century to the present
- a basic knowledge of arctic discourses and indigenous issues
- a basic understanding of methods, concepts and interpretations related to art and society, visual representation
You are able to / can:
- use the academic language confidently, both spoken and written
- conduct analytical work at a level required by a major scientific work
- discuss the syllabus literature and use relevant theoretical concepts in a precise and independent manner.
- Use relevant critical approaches to develop independent insights about particular texts
All learning activities will take place online, in Canvas:
3 modules with 6 online lectures in total:
- Arctic iconography.
- The Arctic at the museum.
- The Arctic in contemporary art.
6 online seminars:
the lecturer presents an introduction/ short presentation of the relevant topic/s in Canvas before the online seminar. Each seminar focuses on a selected work or topic, with relevant texts from the syllabus. Students write and publish a comment (scope: min.100-max. 300 words), which serves as a starting point for the exam/term papers. Active participation in the seminars is required.
All courses are evaluated once during the period of the study programme. The board of the programme decides which courses will be evaluated by students and lecturer each year
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements. Please see the Admission requirements.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
The following coursework requirements must be completed and approved in order to take the final exam:
- active, oral participation in a minimum of 4 online seminars
- 4 written comments (scope: min.100-max. 300 words), published in Canvas in advance of the seminar
Coursework requirements will be assessed as approved / not approved.
The exam comprises:
- 3 term papers each 4 pages / a total of 12 pages (developed from texts submitted as comments to the online seminars)
Term papers should use the following standard: Times New Roman, 12 point, 1.5 line spacing, 2.5 cm margins.
The term papers will be assessed on an A-F grades scale. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed.
A re-sit examination is offered in the event of a fail/F-grade. The deadline to register (in the Studentweb) for a re-sit examination is January 15th for the autumn semester and August 15th for the spring semester. In the event of a re-sit examination, the student is allowed to submit a revised version of his/her term paper within a given deadline.
- About the course
- Campus: Nettbasert | Annet | Online |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: HIF-3211
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur
- TopDesk kontakt
- E-post: email@example.com