ENG-1014 English in Use - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries: 1 December for courses offered in the spring semester and 1 June for courses offered in the autumn semester.
Exchange students and Fulbright students: 1 October for courses offered in the spring semester and 15 April for courses offered in the autumn semester.
This course may be taken as a single course. A good command of oral and written English is recommended.
This course is designed with the Norwegian context in mind, and therefore includes (but is not limited to) a Norwegian-English contrastive perspective. Knowledge of Norwegian is not necessary to take the course, and non-Norwegian-speaking students who wish to learn more about English are welcome to take it, but should be aware that some exercises are specifically designed to address challenges which Norwegians experience in learning English, and in some cases these may not coincide with the primary challenges for speakers of other languages.
The students have the following learning outcomes:
- have learnt practical use of grammar
- have knowledge of basic differences between Norwegian and English and in particular of those differences that cause problems in language learning
- know correct English usage in different contexts and situations
- know how our choice of words and constructions is influenced by non-linguistic factors such as style, text type and context.
- have improved their language skills
- are able to use grammar to explain mistakes and correct and improve texts
- have acquired new words and expressions
- have experienced holding an oral presentation.
This course is available for inbound exchange students. There are no academic prerequisites to add this course to your Learning Agreement. A good command of oral and written English is recommended.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
The obligatory coursework requirements must be approved in order to take the final exam.
Coursework requirements: 3 shorter assignments + one 7-10 minute oral presentation. Coursework requirements will be evaluated as approved/not approved.
Assessment method: A 4-hour written, digital school exam in WISEflow
Grading: Performance in the course will be assessed with the grades A-F. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed. A re-sit examination is offered in in the beginning of the following semester in cases of grade F. A postponed examination is offered in the beginning of the following semester if the student is unable to take the final exam due to illness or other exceptional circumstances.
The deadline for registering (via the Studentweb) for the re-sit/postponed examination is 15 August (for spring semester exams). The new exam date will be announced in the Studentweb approximately in the beginning of September (for spring semester exams).
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: ENG-1014
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur
- Spørsmål om emnet
- E-post: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tidligere år og semester for dette emnet