SVF-3025 Methods in social research: An interdisciplinary approach - 10 ECTS
Students, who have successfully completed the course, should have the following learning outcomes:
- Have an understanding of the aims, principles and practice of social research
- Have an understanding of the philosophical debates underlying research methods in the social sciences
- Have an understanding of the interplay between methods (techniques of evidence gathering) and methodology (the theory and analysis of how research should proceed).
- Have the ability and confidence to determine the contexts within which to use particular social research methods
- Have a grasp of the key components of a research proposal and the related methods for data collection and analysis
- Have the ability to sort out the practicalities involved in planning research on sensitive issues and doing fieldwork overseas.
Skills and competences:
- Capable of applying basic research tools to the design of a master's project that involves data collection
- Capable of presenting and analysing field data, as well as writing a research report or thesis
- Capable of managing the ethical and security issues associated with fieldwork
- Capable of taking responsibility for one's own learning by working independently towards the realisation of the course objectives.
A mix of lectures and seminars according to a detailed plan
The learning outcomes can only be achieved through active student participation. Students are thus expected to read and prepare before every lecture and/or seminar session.
The course is to be evaluated at the SSL (Student-Staff Liaison) forum in spring semester, as well as in an anonymous online evaluation every other spring semester.
This course is available for inbound exchange students. Please see the "Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: INBOUND STUDENT MOBILITY: COURSE COORDINATORS AT THE FACULTIES | UiT
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: SVF-3025
- Responsible unit
- Senter for fredsstudier (CPS)