BIO-3018 Environmental Molecular Genetics - 20 ECTS
Master course for biology students - principally aimed at MSc-students specializing in Molecular Environmental Biology. The course is available as a singular course.
Recommended skills corresponding to courses BIO-2601 General Microbiology (10 stp) BIO-2106 Microscopical imaging techniques (10 stp), BIO-2009 Green Biotechnology and Bioenergy (10 stp).
The number of participants is limited to 10.
- Theory of microbial ecology and epigenetics
- Theory of gene and gene expression analyses
- Critical consideration of scientific literature within the topics for the course How to write a laboratory report
- Critical assessment of own results
- Soil incubations and gas analyses
- Isolation of DNA and RNA from environmental samples
- Preparation of samples for sequencing
- Bioinformatics - analysis of sequencing results, sequence assemblies
- Gene expression (qPCR), methylation status analysis
- Present objectives, methods and results.
- Oral and written discussion of results
- Theory of environmental genetics
- Experimental design
- Molecular laboratory work
- Evaluation of methods
- Discussion of results
- Presentation of results
This course is open for inbound exchange student who meets the admission requirements, including prerequisites. Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
One report and an oral exam. The final grade for the course is based upon a complete evaluation of the report and the oral exam. The exam will be assessed with a graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail. Students require to attain a pass grade (A to E) in the laboratory report in order to be able to take the oral examination.
There will be a re-sit examination for students that did not pass the previous ordinary examination.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 20
- Course code: BIO-3018
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for arktisk og marin biologi