BNS-1010 High North Politics and Barents cooperation - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Generell studiekompetanse. Admission procedures for foreign applicants, please read: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=351800
Admission code: 9199
This course will introduce students to:
- Foreign policy development - the High North focus and analytical perspectives.
- The Barents Development and Cooperation - the Barents Secretariat.
- The Euro-Arctic Barents Cooperation, EU and the Northern Dimension.
- Arctic Council, Circumpolar politics and political coordination.
- Svalbard - conflict and/or cooperation?
- Continental Shelf Delimitation and Sea Borders - reaching consensus?
- Contemporary issues in the High North.
Under teacher supervision, students will have the opportunity to undertake relevant research approaches to study various parts of the course.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Describe the development of the Barents cooperation.
- Discuss Barents cooperation from both a Norwegian and a Russian perspective.
- Identify with the Barents cooperation from an international and regional perspective.
Lectures, group work and discussions. Class attendance is obligatory (at least 75 %).
One part of the course will include an excursion and classes in Kirkenes, or other destinations in East Finnmark.
Quality assurance; Before the end of every course, an evaluation of the course will be arranged in collaboration with the teacher and the student.
Three (3) written assignments to teacher-supplied questions.
The assignments have to be approved by the teacher(s) responsible for the course before students are allowed to sit the final exam. Class attendance is obligatory (at least 75 %).
A final 4 hours school exam.
Grading: scale A - F, A - E are passing grades, F is a fail. Re-sit exam will be arranged for this course.
Guidelines for retaking examination see Regulations for examinations at the UiT, Chapter IV for Postponed, re-sit and extraordinary examinations, etc.https://en.uit.no/exams
- About the course
- Campus: Alta |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BNS-1010
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for reiseliv og nordlige studier