BNS-1012 Nordic and Russian Governance in a Comparative Perspective - 10 ECTS
Nordic applicants: Generell studiekompetanse. Admission procedures for foreign applicants, please read: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=351800
Admission code: 9199
This course introduces students to Nordic and Russian government systems and principles. The course addresses the following topics:
- Comparative political analyses, Norway and Russia.
- Democracy, foundation and development.
- Civic society, parties and pressure groups in political systems.
- Legislative - executive relations.
- Parliamentary government and Russian government formation.
- Consensual democracies - the case of Norway - the Nordic model.
- Regional and local political organisation in Russia and Norway.
Similarities and differences comparing the Nordic and the Russian model of government.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Explain the structure of government in Russia and the Nordic countries.
- Explain patterns of political participation in Russia and the Nordic countries.
- Discuss the differences between Russian and the Nordic countries' governance in the context of history.
- Explain the main differences in political institutions.
- Give an outline of the party systems and describe the main political parties.
- Describe some of the most important NGOs.
- Explain the Nordic model.
- Explain the Russian federal system.
- Explain the Norwegian system of local and regional government.
- Reflect critically on political systems and political institutions.
- Think and write analytically about differences between political systems and political institutions.
- Assess how the Nordic countries and Russia can cooperate.
Three (3) written assignments to teacher-supplied questions. The assignments have to be approved by the teacher(s) responsible for the course before students are allowed to sit the final exam. Class attendance is obligatory (at least 75 %).
A final term paper.
Grading: scale A - F, A - E are passing grades, F is a fail. Re-sit exam will be arranged for this course.
Guidelines for retaking examination see Regulations for examinations at the UiT, Chapter IV for Postponed, re-sit and extraordinary examinations, etc.https://en.uit.no/exams
- About the course
- Campus: Alta |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BNS-1012
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for reiseliv og nordlige studier