PRO-2802 Oil and Gas – Design and Manufacturing - 10 ECTS
- Introduction - aims - challenges of design in oil and gas industry. Instrumentation and control. Relevant standards ( NORSOK / API )
- Hydrocarbon multicomponent phase equilibrium and properties. Stability- phase equilibrium.
- Instrumentation. Modelling of dynamic systems (balance equations). Simulation, models of regulation. Documentation of control systems, surveillance systems and security systems according to NORSOK. Stability, robustness and performance. Frequency Analysis. Different regulatory structures, cascade, parallel, forward link. Logical functions on the controller output (high / low select). Understanding the multivariable control and overall control systems.
- Typical first order processes, integrating processes, second order processes, how to manage downtime and changes in operating conditions. Control system, tuning of PID controllers. Control valves. Closed loop response, sensitivity and complementary sensitivity function.
- How main components of an offshore processing facilities shall be designed? Identify and estimate the influence of design and operating variables of the total perform of the process.
- Oil separation, Stabilization. Thermodynamics equilibrium condition. Carryover estimation. Control loop. Possible scenarios of parameters variations
- Gas compression. Thermodynamics work. Equilibrium. Control loop. Possible scenarios of parameters variations.
- Gas cleaning, drying and dew point control. Phase equilibrium. Control loop. Possible scenarios of parameters variations. Estimation of chemical reactive flow.
- Condensate handling. Stability. Control loop. Possible scenarios of parameters variations.
- Designing simulation using a process simulation software.
The aim of this course is to give the candidates the knowledge of the behaviour and the interaction presented at the industrial process. The system will be approached covering the internal process and relations inside every equipment with the process parameter as pressure and temperature, as well as, the required control system on the process and the required instrumentation to do the measurement needed. This would include different types of instruments and the measurement principles used and the manner in which different measured process characteristics are used to control the processes.
After this course the candidate should have knowledge of:
- Standard topside petroleum production processes, equipment and operation (operation).
- Design and operational parameters influencing optimization of performance.
- Common control structures that one finds in the process industry.
- Control systems, surveillance and security systems documented according to NORSOK.
- Dimensioning of the upstream processing plant.
- Basic principles for the design of safety systems.
- Use of commercial simulation process software.
The skills to be developed by the participant are listed as follow:
- To make informed choices between alternative and balancing capacity, efficiency and cost in the design process.
- To dimension a process or sub-process based on given information using an appropriate process simulating program.
- To document engineering calculations in the form of a report as a support of the decision made.
- To analyze regulating systems performance and to check the application of the Norwegian regulations for the industry.
- To design simple regulatory systems and have a basis for understanding and analyzing the typical structures used in the upstream industry.
- To demonstrate simple control systems, surveillance and security systems according to NORSOK.
- The candidate should have an understanding of specified equipment and their limitations in term of capacity and efficiency.
- The candidate should have understanding of importance of documentation.
- The candidate must be able to assess whether the regulatory structure is suitable to fulfil the purpose of the regulation under safety rules applicable in Norway.
Instruction consists of lectures, selected exercises and assignments/submissions. Prepared teaching material to be placed on "canvas". Some self -directed study and learning must be expected. Calculations should be done first manually to understand the principles. Further calculations will be done by a simulation software for calculating phase equilibrium and thermodynamic properties. Access to the required software is provided via access to the UiT’s server.
Design Dimensioning shall be performed manually, however use of spreadsheets is allowed to facilitate the work.
Some examples and exercises will be taken from actual cases and from current research published at conferences or journals.
Lectures, computer exercises (HYSYS/PRODE/MATLAB/another if appropriate) plus design and process projects where students will practice to understand technical documentation and even produce documentation in accordance with NORSOK requirements. The main submission consists of a design report and a process report that contain descriptions of calculations and design choices made on a system.
This course is available for inbound exchange students.
There are no academic prerequisites to add this course module to your Learning Agreeement. Nevertheless, please see recommended prerequisites.
Do you have questions about this module? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
Deadline: 15th April
Course work / Course requirements
5 short questions tests trough CANVAS and 5 written assignments containing exercises corresponding to the content of the subjects. 4/5 of the short questions and 4/5 of the exercises must be passed in order to access final assessment.
Examination and assessment
Assessment will be done through evaluation of a written report (100% weight)
Evaluation is done by the A-F grading scale where F is not passed.
There will not be arranged a re-sit exam for this course.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik | Online | Annet |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: PRO-2802
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for industriell teknologi