TEK-3002 Risk and Reliability Engineering - 10 ECTS
The course content is organised in 4 modules:
Module 1: Introduction to Reliability Engineering and Life Data Analysis. This module discusses basic definitions and concepts of reliability, statistical theory related to reliability, the most commonly used distributions for product life, product life data classification, parameter estimation methods, confidence bounds determination, and goodness-fit-test methods for life data distribution.
Module 2: Introduction to System Reliability. This module discusses the fundamentals of system reliability, fundamentals of reliability block diagrams (RBDs), system reliability determination, system reliability optimization, and simulation on system reliability using Monte Carlo method.
Module 3: Introduction to reliability testing and design out of uncertainty. This modules discusses acceleration life test, the typical failures in mechanical & electronic system, design out of uncertainty for typical engineering system, and maintainability & availability calculation.
Module 4: Introduction to risk assessment and management. This modules discusses the concept of risk and vulnerability, theories and methods of risk analysis, hazard identification by using empirical data, risk evaluation, etc., and he decision process, economic loss evaluation, cost / benefit analysis, ALARP.
- understand the basic concepts of system’s risk and reliability
- understand basic techniques and tools in analysis of failure data to find the best-fit distribution
- has knowledge to analyse the uncertainty reverent to failure of technical systems.
- able to apply concepts and theories of risk and reliability engineering to complex technical systems.
- able to quantitatively analyse failure data for technical system.
- able to analyse and optimize system reliability.
- able to analyse accelerated life data and access uncertainty in a technical system.
- has deep insight into relevant professional and ethical issues
- has deep understanding of risk and reliability issues.
- can conduct risk and reliability analysis for engineering systems.
This module is open for exchange students with bachelor degree in Engineering.
Please see the Admission requirements" and the "Prerequisite" sections for more information.
Do you have questions about this course? Please check the following website to contact the course coordinator for exchange students at the faculty: https://en.uit.no/education/art?p_document_id=510412
Project report accounts for 40 % and 4-hour written exam accounts for 60 %.
In order to pass the course, both project report and written exam should be passed.
Letter grading A - E, F - fail.
Re-sit exam is granted to the students who have failed the last ordinary arranged exam, and the re-sit only offers the failed part of the last ordinary exam. Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination during the semester if possible, otherwise early in the following semester. See indicated sections in Regulations for examinations at the UiT The arctic University of Norway for more information.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: TEK-3002
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for teknologi og sikkerhet