STV-3019 Comparative political economy - 10 ECTS
Objective of the course
Student who has successfully completed the course should have achieved the following learning outcomes:
- Introduce students to the main debates on the relationships between politics and economic development.
- Use theoretical knowledge to deduce testable hypotheses and apply them quantitatively
- Present examples of how different approaches claim to explain variations in national and regional economic growth
- Increase the ability to do critical examinations of general ideas and theories on economic growth, prosperity and poverty.
- Learned about the main debates on the relationships between politics and economic development
- Able to present critical evaluations of different approaches that claim to explain variations in national and regional economic growth
- Improve their skills as to understand how different systems of government influence and condition economic growth, prosperity and poverty.
There are two compulsory requirements for presenting to the final exam (pass/fail). Students will be given counselling and feedbacks on these requirements
- A theoretical paper (around 2000 words) where theoretical knowledge is used to derive hypotheses
- A script (in R or Stata) where theoretical knowledge is used to test hypotheses
The final exam is an academic paper (around 4000 words) on a given theme within the time-frame of two weeks. Students will be encouraged to use text and data from the compulsory requirement in this paper. Marking is made according to the scale from A to F, where F is fail. The course is open for re-submit in examination in the following semester.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: STV-3019
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for samfunnsvitenskap