BIO-3503 Aquatic Animal Welfare - 5 ECTS
The course is mandatory for researchers who carry out experiments with aquatic animals (fish and decapoda) and fulfil the Ministry's requirements for researches, FELASA category C.
The course should give the students a sufficient knowledge and background for conducting leagal, environmentally safe end ethically acceptable experimental work with live fish and decapods.
Students who has completed the course should:
- Know about the legislations and regulations in animal experimentation, including the Animal welfare act (Dyrevelferdsloven) and the Aquaculture management regulation (Akvakulturdriftsforskriften).
- Know the authorities that maintain legislations and regulations, and how to apply to the Norwegian animal research authority (Forsøksdyrutvalget) for permission to do experiments.
- Have a sound and respectful attitude to the ethical aspects of working with live animal
- Have sufficient knowledge about relevant and important aspects of fish and decapode biology, including pain perception, stressors and stress responses, health and welfare, anaesthesia/immobilisation, acclimation, environmental needs and tagging methods.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: BIO-3503
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for arktisk og marin biologi