ENG-1015 Introduction to English Word and Sentence Structure - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries: 1 December for courses offered in the spring semester and 1 June for courses offered in the autumn semester.
Exchange students and Fulbright students: 1 October for courses offered in the spring semester and 15 April for courses offered in the autumn semester.
The students have the following learning outcomes:
The student has:
- knowledge of basic grammatical concepts and terminology
- knowledge of the grammar of English, with special attention to the structure of words (morphology), phrases and sentences (syntax), plus aspect and temporality- knowledge about word classes, and the different functions that elements belonging to different word classes can fill in the clause
- knowledge about different types of clauses, and the functions these clauses can fill in a complex sentence
- knowledge about the valency of common verbs, plus the essential clause elements, and how to identify them (syntactic analysis)
- knowledge about how to represent the syntactic structure of clauses and sentences in the form of a basic tree diagram.
- is able todescribe and explain grammatical phenomena using appropriate grammatical terminology
- is able toclassify words into word classes based on a given set of criteria
- is able togive a simple morphological analysis of complex words
- is able togive a syntactic analysis of English sentences in terms of clause elements, and ability to recognize that there are different elements (e.g. phrases and clauses) that can fill one and the same clause function, and to represent this in form of a tree diagram
- has improved their language skills in English.
- has developed a vocabulary appropriate to talk about grammatical phenomena.
The obligatory coursework requirements must be approved in order to take the final exam.
Coursework requirements: Two short papers.
Assessment method: A 4-hour school exam.
Performance in the course will be assessed on an A-F grades scale. Grades are A-E for passed and F for failed. A re-sit examination is offered in the event of an F grade. The deadline to register (in the Studentweb) for a re-sit examination is 15 August (for courses offered in the spring semester).
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: ENG-1015
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur