STA-3740 Project paper in applied physics and mathematics - 10 ECTS
Knowledge - The candidate can:
- develop and carry out a research project in statistics or natural science
- develop relevant and realistic research questions
- use theories that are relevant to their individual project
- use statistical and mathematical methods that are adequate for the individual project
- discuss and report the results of the study in a scientific way in relation to existing literature in the field
Skills - The candidate can:
- model, evaluate and analyse real and/or simulated data
- evaluate and analyse theories, methods and experiments that are published in literature
- work independently with practical and theoretical problem solutions
General expertise - The candidate can:
- display good communication skills in writing and presentation of scientific work, both for a general public and for specialists in the field
- follow the code of ethics and rules of conduct in scientific work
The exam is comprised of submission of the project paper within a given deadline. The deadline for submission is normally 1 June in the spring semester and 15 December autumn semester.
Grading scale: "Pass" / "Fail".
Re-sit exam: Only if a project paper is graded "Fail", may the paper be resubmitted in revised form. A new deadline for submission will be given. The new deadline for the project paper is 4 weeks from the point in time when the candidate was informed about the exam result. If the project paper receives the grade "Fail" a second time, the student can apply to the Programme Board for a new project.
Postponed submission: If a medical certificate is provided, the student may be given a postponed deadline for submitting the project paper according to regulations in section 21 of Regulations for examinations at UiT The Arctic University of Norway. If there are compelling grounds for postponed submission, the student can apply for up to a 4 weeks extension of the submission deadline. The Programme Board will approve or reject the application.
Non-submission of project paper: If a project paper is not submitted within the given deadline and an application for postponement has not been granted, the project paper will be reported as not being submitted ("Ikke møtt"). Also, if the candidate submits a blank answer paper, or a paper which clearly does not constitute an academic attempt, she/he is also regarded as having withdrawn from the examination ("Ikke møtt"). The student can then apply to the Programme Board for a new project.
For further information, see: - Utfyllende Utfyllende bestemmelser for prosjektoppgaver og spesialpensum ved NT-fak (only in Norwegian) - Regulations for examinations at the University of Tromsø
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: STA-3740
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for matematikk og statistikk