BED-3077 International marketing - 10 ECTS
Students have to hold a bachelor degree (180 ECTS) in one of the following disciplines: Business, Management, Marketing, Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, Electrical engineering, Physics, Health, Energy, Fisheries or Biotechnology.
- The Norwegian grading system is an A-F scale in which A is the highest score and F is fail. An average grade C from a bachelor degree issued in Norway is the minimum requirement for admission to the master's level for students with Norwegian study background.
- Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in Europe, Canada, USA, Australia and New Zealand must have an average grade C as a minimum, or the corresponding numerical mark/percentage score to be considered for admission.
Applicants who hold a bachelor's degree or equivalent issued in countries other than the above mentioned region/countries must have an average grade B as a minimum, or the corresponding numerical mark/percentage score to be considered for admission.
- The candidate has knowledge about the ongoing debates within the research field of international marketing of firms as well as specialized knowledge about the key challenges facing business people in foreign markets.
- The candidate has thorough knowledge about key theoretical approaches that exist within the field of international marketing.
- The candidate can apply the knowledge acquired in the course to new and relevant problems that they identify related to the internationalization process of firms and marketing issues in foreign markets.
- The candidate is capable of both analyzing information from different sources as well as take a critical approach to how these sources of information could be analyzed. These analyses form the basis from where the candidate develops well-reasoned arguments.
- The candidate is capable of carrying out work independently, including reviewing theories and scientific work, and to find solutions to theoretical and practical problems.
- The candidate is capable of carrying out a small research project under supervision.
- The candidate is capable of analyzing relevant problems that are of interest to professionals in business and researchers.
- Based on the knowledge and skills acquired in the course, the candidate is capable to carry out work tasks and projects related to the internationalization and marketing activities of a firm.
- The candidate is capable of presenting and explaining research results and key concepts rooted in international marketing research.
The course is offered as an ordinary course at the university campus. It is required that the students are present at campus because the course requires that the students take part in course activities that are compulsory, including group assignments. The teaching will consist of lectures, group work, presentations, discussions, and role-play (cross-cultural communication in a negotiation setting). Each group will present the results of two group assignments. Each member of the groups will take part in the presentations.
The schedule for BED-3077 offers information about where and when lectures, group work, presentations, supervision and role-play will find place.
The teaching plan will be available in Canvas just before the start of the semester.
The student is responsible to ensure that he/she gets the information given during the class-room activities, and which is not given in the schedule, teaching plan, in Canvas or in the required course readings.
It is expected that the students master the use of word processing.
The students are encouraged to read the literature given in the lecture plan before attending a class. This will make the student better prepared to ask questions and to take part in discussions. In the first lecture, the students will be divided into groups for the assignments and presentation of articles in class. It is therefore of great importance that students attend the first lecture.
The students will be offered supervision. More detailed information regarding supervision will be made available in Canvas. Prepare questions/issues that you want to discuss before the meeting.
The students have to complete some requirements in order to write the individual home examination.
Requirement 1: Each group will present the group assignment, and each member of the group has to contribute in the presentation. The schedule for the presentation will be given in the beginning of the semester.
Requirement 2: Each group will present the case work assignment, and each member of the group has to contribute in the presentation. The schedule for the presentation will be given in the beginning of the semester.
Requirement 3: The students will practice a role-play (cross-cultural communication in a negotiation setting). The session will last 4 hours. The groups have to prepare, carry out negotiations and take part in the discussions after the negotiations; which challenges emerged due to communication across cultures and how were they managed? The schedule for the role-play will be given at the beginning of the semester.
The students have to submit documentation like medical certificate to the student administration if the student does not complete one or more of the requirements. Documentation is required in order to find an alternative requirement, and to find a new date for the submission, and/or finding a date for performing the role-play.
Group based assignment makes up 30% of total grade, the case work assignment makes up 10% of total grade, individual home examination makes up 60% of total grade. A graded scale of marks from A to E for pass and F for fail.
Group assignment: The students will be divided into groups by the lecturer. Each group has to select a firm or an industry which it wants to use as a case for its assignment. The purpose of the assignment is to apply concepts, theories and models from the international marketing literature in order to analyze and discuss a particular problem related to the firm’s or industry’s internationalization process. It is expected that the students identify relevant literature for their assignment. The assignment should be submitted in Wiseflow.
The assignment should be 15-17 pages maximum (about 7500 words) including reference list and appendixes.
Information about the deadline for the submission of the group assignment will be given in the beginning of the semester. List the candidate numbers of all the group members on the front page of the assignment.
Case work assignment: This is a group assignment. The students will be divided into groups by the lecturer. The lecturer will provide the students with a case description of a firm including problems to be worked on. The students will be given time in class to work on the case which comes in addition to time required outside the class to complete the assignment.
The assignment should be 7 pages maximum (about 3500 words) including reference list and appendixes.
Information about the deadline for the submission of the case work assignment will be given in the beginning of the semester. List the candidate numbers of all the group members on the front page of the assignment.
Home examination: The home examination is an individual assignment. Problems to be discussed by the students in their home examination will be provided by the lecturer. The students are requested to take care of course material, including the student’s own written notes, because it could be relevant for the home examination.
The home examination should be 15-17 pages maximum (about 7500 words) including reference list and appendixes.
Information about the deadline for the submission of the home examination assignment will be given in the beginning of the semester. List the candidate number on the front page of the assignment.
There will not be arranged a re-sit exam for this course.
The students should structure the group assignments and the home examination according to the structure explained in the following link: https://en.uit.no/studenter/oppgaveskriving?p_dimension_id=88163&p_lang=1&p_type=217666
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: BED-3077
- Responsible unit
- Handelshøgskolen ved UiT