DTE-3600 Fluid Mechanics - 5 ECTS
The students are going to investigate a given fluid flow problem using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and to make the necessary documentation and reporting from the project. This includes preliminary problem analysis, identification of flow characteristics, set up of numerical model, numerical simulations, post-processing, visualization and reporting from project.
As the visualizations should seek to give a better understanding of flow problem analysis and the results produced by the numerical fluid flow solver, the focus is on making sufficient & descriptive visualizations using available tools & techniques.
A special focus will be on 3D-visualization techniques included/developed in the 5IT-master courses at the UiT-Narvik. However, other visualization methods may also be included.
Topic for student project and report-format will be presented by lecturer during in the start of the course.
1. Introductory lectures to some basics of Fluid Mechanics, selected flow problem (case), identification of fluid characteristics, setup of numerical model, numerical simulations, post processing and visualization.
2. Short seminar on the basics of academic & technical reporting related to reporting structure and written format.
3. Individual project work to be carried out under supervision by lecturer.
4. Reporting structure and written format must be according to an academic report and a prescribed format will be provided.
After passing the course, students will have the following learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding:
The student shall have the knowledge and understanding about;
- solving a fluid flow problem using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and presentation of results from the analysis.
- how visualization techniques can be used to analyse and present complex flow fields.
- the importance of including the understanding of the basic flow problem and governing parameters into visualization of the results.
The student should be able to;
- identify basic fluid flow characteristics and flow parameters for analysis and visualization.
- perform post processing and visualization of results from numerical simulations, applying existing and customized tools.
- perform preliminary problem analysis, selection of parameters for the fluid flow model, numerical simulations, post-processing & visualization of results and reporting from project.
- The student will manage to apply his theoretical knowledge and engineering methods in analysis, solution and visualization of a practical fluid flow problem.
10 hours introductory lectures. Individual project run by the students under guidance by a supervisor.
Teaching and Examination Language:
Lectures will be held in Norwegian or English (Provided the presence of English speaking students, English will be chosen).
Lecture notes will be given in English.
Project report must be written in the English language.
Coursework/ course requirements: Minimum requirements for reporting structure and written format prior to submission. Students have to use software at the UiT in Narvik.
Examination and assessment: Project report (100%). A-F grading scale are given, where F is not passed.
There will not be arranged a re-sit exam for this course.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: DTE-3600
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for datateknologi og beregningsorienterte ingeniørfag