DTE-3603 Introduction to Technical Programming - 5 ECTS
A relevant undergraduate bachelor Engineering programme with minimum 30 credits mathematic/statistics topics
Application Code: 9371
Recommended knowledge about and being able to apply basic object-oriented programming, algorithms and data structures. Recommended experience with basic C++ programming, compilers, build systems and debugging
The course is focused on basic concepts and techniques necessary for development of efficient software and simulators using the C++ programming language.
The course aims at solving problems by programming with emphasis on using the developer's tool chain efficiently. The tools include source code management systems, build systems, compilers, text editors, debuggers and integrated development environment (IDE).
On completion of the course, the successful student is expected to have the following:
The student will have;
- An overview of software development tools, compiling and managing source code, debugging.
- Basic understanding of algorithms and data structures, memory management and softare libraries (APIs)
- Basic knowledge of challenging tasks in research by understanding a scientific way of working
- Special knowledge of theories, methods and tools to determine, analyze and solve problems via computer programming
The student should be able to;
- Write modularized code to implement algorighms and separate between libraries and applications.
- Manage source code and solve problems by programming
- Write a report which clearly presents the applied methods, experiments and results
- Can apply the knowledge and skills to solve problems, and communicate about the results with other specialists in the field of computer science.
The course is taught intensively during two non-consecutive weeks. There is a mixture between lectures and problem-based learning.
Stroustrup - A Tour of C++
Stroustrup - The C++ Programming Language
Programming: Principles and practices using C++
Git SCM documentation
The C++ language tutorial
Course work requirement:
Individual programming project run by the students, which must be submitted in prior to the oral examination. A hard deadline and format for submission will be specified by the lecturer.
Examination and assessment:
Oral examination (M).
Scale of grading: A - F, where F is fail.
There will not be arranged a re-sit exam for this course.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: DTE-3603
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for datateknologi og beregningsorienterte ingeniørfag