ELE-3602 Power System Operation and Control - 5 ECTS
A relevant undergraduate bachelor Engineering programme with minimum 30 credits mathematics/statistics topics
Suggested prerequisites: General knowledge of energy systems and stationary and dynamic properties of the power system. Basic skills in financial and technical-economic planning.
- European main grid power system is built up.
- Regulators, transmission system operators and power exchange.
- Roles and responsibilities of the different actors.
- Guidelines from ACER/CEER and ENTSO-E
- From Nordic grid code to network codes.
- Different sources for power production and their system properties.
- Balancing of power systems in generally.
- Different markets and balancing in the planning phase.
- Different markets and balancing in the operating phase.
- Capacity allocation and congestion management. Consequences.
- Wholesale, Retail and Financial market.
- Auxiliary services.
- Aggregation of reserves.
After completed course the candidate should have the following learning outcome:
- Organization of the European electric power system.
- Interaction between production, grid and market.
- Regulation of the electric power system based on market mechanism.
- Bid to power exchange from a power companies available resources.
- Create production plans from the power exchange prices.Balancing their own commitments by deviations from plans.
- Calculate reserves and bid the reserve marketsManage congestion through area pricing and countertrade.
- Could explain area pricing and countertrade - different incentives for investments.
- Could explain the socio-economic consequences of major capacity constraints,with winners and losers.
- The candidate will have competence to operate a power company with different types of sources for power production, conventional and renewable.
- The candidate will be able to operate the main grid and see both of these two separate different businesses in a markets- and monopoly perspective.
- The candidate should be able to see the need for market development as an incentive for the efficiency improvement of the power system.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: ELE-3602
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for elektroteknologi