ENG-1016 Introduction to English Sound Patterns - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries: 1 June for courses offered in the autumn semester and 1 December for coursed offered in the spring semester.
Exchange students and Fulbright students: 15 April for courses offered in the autumn semester and 1 October for courses offered in the spring semester.
Students who have successfully completed the course will have the following learning outcome:
- know the basic concepts of phonetics and phonology
- have a good knowledge of the phonological system of BBC English
- understand that language use is variable and that there may be different reasons for this
- know how social factors such as social class, ethnicity, gender and age influence language use
- know about some of the main regional or social markers in English, i.e. pronunciations or grammatical forms which help us to identify speakers as belonging to a particular area or social group.
- be able to read and write phonological script (IPA)
- be able to classify sounds and describe how sounds are produced
- be able to describe important concepts in phonology
- be able to describe different aspects of language use
- be able to account for differences in language use
- have improved their language skills in English.
Coursework requirements: At the teacher's decision, either one essay of approx. 2000 words or a written in-class test. Details will be given at the beginning of the semester. Coursework requirements are evaluated with approved/not approved. The obligatory coursework requirements must be approved in order to take the final exam.
Assessment method: A 4-hour written (digital) school exam in WISEflow.
Performance in the course will be assessed on a graded scale of five marks from A to E for pass and F for fail. A re-sit examination is offered in the event of F/fail. The deadline to register (in the Studentweb) for the re-sit examination is 15 January (for courses offered in the autumn semester) and 15 August (for courses offered in the spring semester).
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: ENG-1016
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for språk og kultur