På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
PSY-1004 Biological psychology - 10 ECTS
At the end of the course, the student is expected to be able to: Knowledge:
- Explain what characterizes the biological perspective in psychology and different traditions within this perspective.
- Describe and recognize basic concepts of the neuroanatomy (the central and peripheral nervous systems), and neurodevelopment.
- Explain fundamental concepts within neurophysiology and psychopharmacology.
- Explain transduction, transmission and perception in sensory systems
- Explain the fundamental concepts of movement and control
- Describe central facts and explain key principles of the biological basis for important psychological topics (for example language and intelligence, emotion, motivation and reward, learning and memory, stress, sleep and alertness).
- Explain how knowledge of biological processes contributes to the understanding of mental disorders and their treatment.
- Describe basic research methods in biological psychology
- Perform literature searches and critically evaluate sources in biological psychology
- Recognize and being able to name anatomical structures of the nervous system
- Evaluate the core aspects of biological psychology
- Explain and being able to critically address the selected aspects of biological psychology
- Recognize and being able to point out the principles of the selected aspects of biological psychology
5 hour written exam. Grade scale A-F, F equals not passed.
In case of grade F, re-exams will be given early in the subsequent semester.
The course has a work requirement in which the students have to write an essay (2000-3000 words) based on a topic in biological psychology. The students are expected to integrate knowledge from recent research articles in this essay. The essay will be evaluated with approved/not approved. An approval is required before the final exam can be taken.