STA-3300 Applied Statistics 2 - 10 ECTS
After the course the student should:
- obtain a solid foundation in applied multiple regression analysis and analysis of variance
- be able to make an independent judgment as to whether regression- or analysis of variance is an appropriate method for the present data
- be able to utilize the program package SPSS in analyzing data
In more detail the student should have knowledge about:
- The assumptions for using regression- and analysis of variance.
- The two types of independent variables (covariates): measurement- and nominal (categorical) variables.
- The concept of confounding between independent variables.
- The concept of interaction between independent variables.
- Polynomials and transformations of variables.
- Criteria (R2, F, Mallow's Cp) and strategies for selecting the best model (forward, backward or stepwise)
- Regression diagnostics, such as analyzing residuals to identify possible outliers, checking the model assumptions, colinearity.
- One-way and two-way analysis of variance, balanced design, fixed and/or random factors
- Interpretation of regression results. The significance and the importance of the selected independent variables in explaining the response variable.
Explaining the regression results to a person who is not familiar with statistical thinking.
Written final exam of 4 hours duration, counting 100 %.
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F.
Postponed examination: Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination early in the following semester.
For further details see: - Utfyllende bestemmelser for eksamener ved Fakultet for naturvitenskap og teknologi (only in Norwegian) - Regulations for examinations at the University of Tromsø
Coursework requirements A passing grade is required on the mandatory homework sets for permission to take the exam.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: STA-3300
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for matematikk og statistikk