På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
EOM-3901 Master's Thesis in Energy, Climate and Environment - 30 ECTS
The course is only available to students on the Master's degree programme in energy, climate and environment. It is not available to any other category of students as a singular or elective course.
To be assigned a master project the students must have passed all courses in their study plan and the required practical work experience must have been carried out and approved. The Programme Board may grant exemptions from the required practical work experience and up to 10 credits in missing courses that are less essential for the Master`s thesis.
Application for approval must be submitted to the Programme Board within a deadline, which is normally 1 September in the fall semester and 1 February in the spring semester. Students apply by handing in a supervision contract (veiledningskontrakt for mastergradsoppgave) along with a project description. Students must register to the exam as for ordinary courses.
A diploma is not issued before all courses and required practical work experience are met.
Knowledge - The student can:
- obtain an advanced level of knowledge in one of the disciplines offered
- develop and carry out a research project in natural science
- develop relevant and realistic research questions
- use theories that are relevant to their individual project
- use methods that are adequate for the individual project
- discuss and report the results of the study in a scientific way in relation to existing literature in the field
Skills - The student can:
- use scientific equipment and carry out advanced experiments
- evaluate and analyse real and/ or simulated data
- evaluate and analyse theories, methods and experiments that are published in literature
- work independently with practical and theoretical problem solutions
General expertise - The student can:
- display good communication skills in writing and presentation of scientific work, both for a general public and for specialists in the field
- follow the code of ethics and rules of conduct in scientific work
- continue a career within research, production, development and technical professions related to their field of work
The exam is comprised of submission of a Master's thesis within a given deadline. The deadline for submission is normally 1 June in the spring semester and 15 December in fall semester.
Grading scale: Letter grades A-F.
Re-submission of the thesis:
Only if a Master's thesis is graded "F" (fail), may the thesis be resubmitted in revised form. A new deadline for submission will be given. The deadline for resubmitting the thesis is 6 weeks from the point in time when the candidate was informed about the exam result. If the thesis receives the grade "F" a second time, the student can apply to the Programme Board for a new Master¿s thesis project.
If a medical certificate is provided, the student may be given a postponed deadline for submitting the Master's thesis according to regulations in section 21 of Regulations for examinations at UiT The Arctic University of Norway. In the case where the Master¿s thesis cannot be handed in by the given deadline, the student can apply for a postponement of up to 6 weeks if there are compelling grounds for the delay. The postponement of up to 6 weeks counts for both part-time and full-time students.
Non-submission of thesis:
If a Master's thesis is not submitted within the given deadline and application for postponement has not been granted, the thesis will be reported as not being submitted ("Ikke møtt") at the examination. Also, if the candidate submits a blank answer paper, or a paper which clearly does not constitute an academic attempt, she/he is also regarded as having withdrawn from the examination ("Ikke møtt"). The student can then apply to the Programme Board for a new Master's thesis project.
For further details see:
- https://uit.no/Content/523423/cache=20172206140636/Revidert - Utfyllende bestemmelser for siv.ing.pdfUtfyllende bestemmelser for femårig mastergrad i teknologi/sivilingeniør
- https://uit.no/utdanning/art?p_document_id=347697&dim=179018https://uit.no/utdanning/art?p_document_id=347697&dim=179018Regulations for examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway for more information.