KJE-3603 Protein Production Technology - 10 ECTS
Protein expression and protein purification is an art of science and technology. Each protein is unique and needs special treatment. This intensive practical course is dedicated to the current technology and processes available to obtain a pure sample of protein using recombinant DNA techniques, combined with biotechnology of protein production and purification. The course covers cloning and overexpression in bacterial and eukaryotic systems, introduction to fermentation, protein purification and biophysical characterization.
Protein production technology:
i) Recombinant protein technology and fermetation
- Recombinant protein technology
- Expression systems i (prokaryote systems)
- Expression systems ii (eukaryote systems)
- Introduction to fermentation
ii) Protein purification
- Initial planing and strategy
- Biological activity and quantification of proteins
- General methods for handling enzymes and proteins
- The protein extract
- Purification of engineered proteins
- Fractionation techniques
- Scaling up
- Analysis of purified product
The objective of the course is to give the students theoretical and practical insight into protein production technologies.
- has advanced knowledge in protein production technology including recombinant protein technology, fermentation and protein purification.
- has thorough knowledge of methods and techniques applied in protein production
- can apply knowledge to new areas in protein production technology
- can analyse academic problems related to recombinant protein production technology
- can analyze and deal critically with various sources of information and use them to structure and formulate scholarly agguments.
- can analyse methods, techniques and interpretations in protein production and work independently on practical problems.
- can use relevant methods and techniques in protein production for research in an independent manner.
- can carry out an independent, limited research or developmental project under supervision.
- can apply her/his knowledge and skills in protein production technology in order to carry out assignments and projects
- can communicate terminology in the field of protein production including recombinant protein expression and protein purification.
- can communicate about academic issues, analyses and conclusions in the field of protein production technology.
- Can write an scientific report