MBI-3015 Human pharmacology and toxicology - 10 ECTS
he course is an elective course for students accepted to the Master´s program in Biomedicine.
The course can be taken as a singular course by students with a Bachelor´s degree in Biomedicine or similar (180 ECTS).
Recommended prerequisites: Basic knowledge at University Bachelor level in pharmacology and toxicology.
The master course in physiology (MBI-3016 Human physiology), is recommended as a supplement to the course.
Application deadline for nordic applicants is 1st of December. Applicationcode: 9371
For admission requirements see the admission requirements for the Master program in biomedicine
After the course the student should be able to:
- Explain general principles in pharmacology and toxicology (kinetics, dynamics and risk assessments).
- Explain how drugs and toxic agents affect endocrine-, cardiovascular-, nervous- and immune systems, inflammation, infection and cancer focusing on molecular mechanisms, effects, and interactions.
- Search, acquire and critically assess advanced knowledge in pharmacology and toxicology.
- Apply relevant methods to solve pharmaco- and toxicokinetic exercises.
- Apply current concepts and terminology in pharmacology and toxicology through oral presentations, group discussions and written text.
- Describe how the obtained knowledge and skills can be used in a professional setting.
- Describe how the obtained knowledge and skills can contribute to innovation processes in pharmacology and toxicology.
Written exam (4 hours). Grade A-F (F-fail).
The following coursework must be completed in order to attend the written exam:
- Approved hand-in pharmaco/toxicokinetic calculations.
- Participation in 4 out of 5 seminars/cases.
- Approved written report from work-place visit.
A re-sit exam/postponed exam will be arranged early in the following semester, for candidates who failed the exam or who, for valid reasons, were unable to attend.