STE6209 CAD/CAM - 5 ECTS
Comprehensive consideration of both basic terms, relations, and the whole of the topic as well as actual research in the application of information and communication technologies (ICT) to generate data-integrated holisms of close-to-manufacturing engineering design, process and operations planning, of manufacturing and quality engineering. Computer aided geometric modelling and production engineering optimization of both products and the corresponding manufacturing processes. Mathematical basics for product modelling, exemplary skills in using advanced CAD/CAM software systems to generate 3D-CAD models for free-form objects, information transfer from CAD- to quality-assured product models. The main topics in this course will include:
- Engineering product specification
- Computer aided engineering drawing and orthographic projection
- CAD- Basic part modelling
- CAD 3D Geometric modelling (solid and surface)
- Tooling and fixturing
- Numerical control programming
- Computer aided manufacturing based virtual and rapid prototyping
- Design for manufacturing and assembly
- Product life cycle management
The course aims at establishing understanding of the basic knowledge about principles of computer aided design (CAD) and computer aided manufacturing (CAM) systems. The course offers an introduction at intermediate level as well as practical abilities in the application of components and interdisciplinary relations that emerge when modern information and communication technologies (ICT) are utilised for the further industrialisation supported by computer-aided engineering tools particularly towards manufacturing of products in goods industries.
- Acquire fundamental understanding of the principles of CAD/CAM, including engineering drawing, geometric and surface modelling and feature based design
- Use engineering mathematics related to geometry to understand CAD/CAM concepts.
- Apply computer aided manufacturing principles to perform computer aided numerical control programin
- Apply CAD/CAM concepts to product design and manufacturing
- Use CAD/CAM software to realize product design.
Upon completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Distinguish the product specification methods
- Draw engineering design and orthographic projections
- Construct 2D and 3D part CAD models
- Distinguish different computer aided design modelling methods
- Construct process plans for 3D geometric parts
- Recall the need of design and manufacturing integration.
Passing the course will provide students with basic competence for computer aided design and manufacturing.
An assignment exercise regarding design of a small-scale geometric model.
3 hour written exam account for 100% of the grade in the course.
The course is evaluated through ECTC system (A-F), where F is a fail.
For students failed in the written exam, a re-sit written exam will be arranged for this course.
- About the course
- Campus: Narvik |
- ECTS: 5
- Course code: STE6209
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for industriell teknologi