På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
STE6290 Materials Selection in Product Design - 7.5 ECTS
The interaction between function, shape (geometry) and material selection in engineering design will be studied (especially in terms of mechanical design). Among other things, the following points are central to the discipline:
- Design Process
- Materials and material structures
- Selection of materials for components exposed to certain stresses
- Development of materials indices and the use of these
- Specific case studies
- Shape Factors
- Use available charts to select the right material for concrete products.
After completing the course, the students will have knowledge in mechanical engineering design. The students will be able to:
- through a systematic method to choose the most suitable material and form in technical design of various products
- find the material indices of different problems and to use it to find the best materials
- analyze and find the failure mechanisms a failure mechanism chart
- understand what the shape efficiency is and use the shape factors to optimize different components or products
One task at the exam is given in advance and the students bring with them the answer to the task (a report) in two paper copies. The task counts 2/5 of the exam.
The report can be used by the students during the written exam, and the report will count as part of the exam. The whole material, also the report, has to be delivered at the end of the exam.
Examination included the predefined task will form the basis of the overall assessment.
Exam: 3 hour written exam
Access to the continuation exam, if it is held, requires that the professor must approve the report within 1 month after the regular examination is held. Remember to take care of the report, since it has to be delivered on a possible continuation exam. Grading will be done by using A-F grading scale, F is Fail.