FYS-2017 Sustainable energy - 10 ECTS
Knowledge - The student wcan
- describe different energy resources, transformations and consumption
- explain sustainable energy sources and their potential
- identify different types of scientific communication
Skills - The student can
- analyze steam engines in terms of thermodynamics and electricity production
- derive the main equations describing the energy in the following sustainable sources: thermal, geothermal, tidal, wave, wind, solar, biomass and nuclear energy
- calculate the energy production from different power plants
General expertise - The student can
- locate relevant information from different sources
- work together, solve problems and discuss findings in groups
- express a good oral communication skill in class
- express a good communication skill in scientific writing
- up to 3 assigments counting about 30 %, The course responsible determines the number of assignments in the beginning of the semester.
- a final 4 hour written examination counting about 70 %.
All components in the portfolio must be delivered and one combined grade is given.
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F. A is the highest grade and F is failed.
Re-sit examination (section 22): Students having failed the last ordinary examination are offered a re-sit examination early in the following semester, if the course is compulsory in their study programme, otherwise given that an examination is already being arranged. 4 hour written examination counting 100 %.
Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination.
Postponed portfolio assessment of up to 3 assigments is arranged during the semester if possible, otherwise early in the following semester. Postponed written examination is held early in the following semester.
See indicated sections in Regulations for examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway for more information.