På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
FYS-3003 Cosmic geophysics - 10 ECTS
The course is available as a singular course. The course is also available to exchange students and Fulbright students.
The course will only be taught if there is a sufficient number of students. Are you interested in following the course, please contact the student advisor as soon as possible.
Knowledge - The student can
- explain the structure of the atmosphere from the ground to space
- understand the process of photoionization of atmospheric particles by solar UV and X-rays
- understand the chemical reactions in the upper atmosphere, primarily ions with neutral gas particles and electrons
- understand the diffusion of particles under the effect of gravity
- explain disturbances in the near-Earth space environment
- understand the complementary nature of kinetic and fluid plasma descriptions
- describe Earth¿s space environment in relation to that of other planets
Skills - The student can
- use the principles of discretization and numerical solution to PDE bounded in space and with initial time condition
- apply fluid theory to large scale plasmas
- design, analyze and use computer program to numerically model geophysical systems and processes related to the auroral ionosphere
General expertise - The student can
- discuss the effects on the atmosphere and ionosphere of global warming and atmospheric pollutants
- explain he behavior of the upper atmosphere/ionosphere and the interaction between solar wind and earths magnetosphere in writing intelligible to the scientific lay-person