FYS-2009 Introduction to plasma physics - 10 ECTS
Knowledge - The student can:
- define the plasma state, give examples of different kinds of plasmas and explain the parameters characterizing them
- analyze the motion of charged particles in electric and magnetic fields
- formulate kinetic and fluid descriptions of plasma and understand the applicability of the appropriate approximations (kinetic theory, magnetohydrodynamics, twofluid model)
- discuss collisions, resistivity and diffusion in both fully and weakly ionized plasmas based on charged particle motions
- explain the properties of the most important wave modes in plasmas, discuss dispersion relations, polarization and motion of the charged particles
- discuss interaction between particles and waves, Landau damping
- give a basic explanation of plasma equilibrium, confinement and stability
Skills - The student can:
- describe and characterize plasma as a fourth state of matter in nature and laboratory
- solve basic problems in plasma dynamics using particle, kinetic and fluid descriptions
General expertise - The student can:
- recognize applications of plasmas in modern society
- communicate theories, problem descriptions and solutions regarding dynamics of fluids and plasmas
Portfolio assessment of a take-hom examination counting about 25% and a final 4 hours written examination counting 75%. All modules in the portfolio must be delivered and one combined grade is given.
Assessment scale: Letter grades A-F. A is the highest grade and F is failed.
Re-sit examination. There will not be arranged a re.sit examination in this course.
Postponed examination (sections 17 and 21): Students with valid grounds for absence will be offered a postponed examination. Postponed take-home examination is arranged during the semester if possible, otherwise early in the following semester. Postponed written examination is held early in the following semester.
See indicated sections in Regulations for examinations at the UiT The arctic university of Norway for more information.
- About the course
- Campus: Tromsø |
- ECTS: 10
- Course code: FYS-2009
- Responsible unit
- Institutt for fysikk og teknologi