The themes to be covered:
- The epidemiology of global health. The description of the health status of the world, distribution of diseases in different part of the world
- The methods of describing health, disabilities, illnesses and diseases in a global perspective
- Different methods for estimation of the burden of diseases, benchmarking and standardization
- Analysis of the Global Health situation, different explaining factors and mechanisms behind the inequity
- International politics
- National and international governing
- Analysis of the different health systems and the international criteria for comparison
The candidate will be given an understanding of health care systems and strategies, global health status and factors (political, administrative and other factors) causing the global health and health care gradients between populations and nations. Reproductive health, perinatal health, birth registries and registry epidemiology are central. Global health metrics and analytic descriptive research are of importance. The course aims also to show how health systems responds on emerging epidemics. The course will explore intervention strategies, and how evidence based knowledge are disseminated and translated into action research. Attention is paid to the relationship between the analysis of complex health problems and the design, implementation and evaluation of intervention strategies for specific health problems.
Knowledge and understanding
Skills and competences
An individual home-based examination on a given topic, 8-10 pages in length (4,000-5,000 words, not including references). The students are given 1 week to write the exam. Students can write the assignments and examination in Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or English. Hand in the exam as specified in the exam text. Grading scale: A-E equals passed, F equals failed.
Any queries concerning the obligatory home assignment or the final exam should be addressed to the course leader as specified in the exam text at least 5 days ahead of the submission deadline.
If a student fails the course, an examination re-sit will be organised. Students with valid absence from the exam will be offered a re-scheduled examination.