På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
KJE-2002 Biological chemistry - 10 ECTS
Applicants from Nordic countries: KJE-1001 or equivalent
International applicants: Higher Education Entrance Qualification and certified language requirements in English. It is a requirement that students have some prior knowledge of chemistry and/or biology (participants must have taken introductory level university courses, and achieved pass grades, in these subjects).
A list of the requirements for the Higher Education Entrance Qualification in Norway can be found on the Norwegian Agency for Quality Assurance in Education website - nokut.no
Application code: 9336 (Nordic applicants).
The student will have expanded knowledge and proficiency within relevant topics in chemistry. This means that the student
- has an understanding of basic features of biological molecules and their description with respect to bonds, angles and torsions
- has an understanding of how biomolecules are formed and their building blocks
- has knowledge about stabilizing forces (proteins and DNA in particular), and insight into which forces are key to the overall stability of the molecules
- has insight into how some biomolecular assemblies are formed and how they are of general importance
- has a general knowledge about a set of structure determination methods (various diffraction techniques, NMR, Atomic Force- and Electron Microscopy, as well as general spectroscopic techniques); when they should be applied, as well as their strengths and weaknesses
- can describe the general quality assessment terms for the most common structure determination techniques
- can describe the most common functions of the biomolecules and to couple this with their general structures and individual building blocks
- can outline some of the basal biological processes investigated in the course; General introduction to Biochemistry, DNA replication, Protein Synthesis and Virus-structure and -replication cycle
- can describe intra- and inter-molecular stabilizing forces and how they are distinguished
- has a general knowledge about the biomolecules; their structure and some of the functions they have
- has knowledge about general structure determination methods for different types of biomolecules
- has developed general knowledge about the field of biological chemistry which will serve as an aid in all research directions within chemistry