På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
STE6234 Project - Building Technology in Cold Climate - 5 ECTS
Cold climate is the combined effect from low temperatures, snow, ice, wind etc., including psychological factors like working & living in remote areas with polar nights etc. In general, cold climate technology refers to scientific equipment and methods developed to reduce disadvantages with, or utilize advantages from the cold climate. By this definition, Cold Climate Technology is applicable to most engineering activity and is to be considered as a multidisciplinary discipline.
The students will be given an introduction to the special principles and practices that must be implemented if design and construction are to be accomplished successfully in cold environment. This course is methodology and problem oriented and includes to carry out an independent engineering or research project within a selected area of the field of cold climate technology applied on a problem relevant to the Master¿s degree program in Integrated Building Technology. This may be projects related to: constructional design, reconstruction, building materials, energy conservation, HVAC, energy systems & technical installation, indoor & outdoor environment, residential development, infrastructure (roads, railroads, airports etc.), outdoor operations, construction techniques, constructional weather protection designs etc. Course content:
- Introductory lectures to cold climate technology - special principles and practices, current regulations & standards, examples on actual technological topics for selection, project work and requirements.
- Short seminar on the basics of academic & technical reporting related to reporting structure and written format.
- The students propose a relevant topic/problem and prepares a problem definition for the project. The problem description should be feasible, clearly defined and of a nature that utilize and benefit from the competence (engineering methods, techniques and modelling tools) acquired through the given in-depth study. The problem definition has to be approved by lecturer prior to project start-up.
- Project work carried out individually or as a group of maximum two students. The project may be selected and carried out in co-operation with a private company, an organization etc.
- Reporting structure and written format must be according to an academic report and a prescribed format will be provided.
After passing the course, students will have the following learning outcomes:
Knowledge and understanding
The student shall have the in-depth knowledge and understanding about a selected area/topic within the field of Cold Climate Technology applied on a problem relevant to the Master degree program in Integrated Building Technology.
The student should be able to do independent engineering/research work and carrying out a complete project, from the early problem analysis to the final reporting.
The student will manage to apply his theoretical knowledge and engineering methods to solve relevant problems within the field of Cold Climate Technology.
Coursework / Course requirements:
Preparation of a preliminary problem definition for the project, that has to be approved by the lecturer prior to project start-up. Minimum requirements for reporting structure and written format prior to submission.
Examination and assessment
Project report (100%).A -F grading scale are given, where F is not passed.
There will not be arranged a re-sit exam for this course.