På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
STE6289 Modern Materials and Computations - 7.5 ECTS
The course will give the students an understanding of modern materials and material structures, especially the sandwich structures, and applications of such. Analytical calculations of sandwich structures and numerical computations using the finite element method on different structures, systems and components are also important parts of the course.
In detail, the students will:
- learn about different types of modern materials and structures and their properties.
- design sandwich constructions; including calculate deflections, stiffness and strength, stresses and strains of a sandwich construction.
- analyze and implement inhomogeneous material structures with special focus on periodic structures and perform numerical solutions for such structures.
- use the finite element program Ansys to analyze some engineering problems.
- calculate and compare analytical and numerical solutions, by using the finite element program Ansys, for different constructions.
-derive material indices and choose the best material for some concrete problems.
After completing the course, the student:
- has some knowledge within the academic field of mathematics, physics and engineering and specialized insight in a limited area within the field of engineering design (K1)
- has some knowledge of different theories and methods in the field of engineering design (K2)
- can analyze and deal critically with information and use them to structure and formulate scholarly arguments (S1)
- can carry out an independent, limited research or development project under supervision and in accordance with applicable norms for research ethics (S4)
- can communicate extensive independent work and masters language and some terminology of the academic field of engineering design (GC3)
- can communicate about academic issues, analyses and conclusions in the field of engineering design, both with specialists and the general public (GC4)
Regular lectures, project work and video lectures. The course will be lectured every year.
More information will be published in Canvas when you are enrolled in the course.
Teaching and Examination Language: Lecturing language is set to Norwegian unless international students are at present. The project reports can be written in either Norwegian or English.
Mappeevaluering (portfolio assessment).
The students will during the course get 3 Projects that must be handed in electronically via Canvas. The student will obtain the grade "Pass" or "No Pass" on the basis of the tree reports. The grading "Pass" will be given when the projects are minimum at the level equal to the grading letter "C".
The reports will form the basis of the overall assessment.
There will not be arranged a re-sit/ continuation exam for this course.