STE6271 Manufacturing Logistics - 5 ECTS
After having finished the course and passed the exam the students will have a broad knowledge and understanding of the principles and concepts related to logistics, especially internal logistics and operations within a manufacturing company. The students will also be able to understand the relations between the different processes and their importance to the profitability of a company, and know about principles, tools and systems used to develop and improve these processes.
The students will have knowledge about the logistics- and control processes in a manufacturing company, together with knowledge about principles, tools and systems to analyze, develop and perform these processes.
The students will have the skills to analyze a manufacturing system, propose improvement schemes and manage and implement improvement projects.
The students will have general understanding of the significance of efficient manufacturing and rapid material flow has on the competitiveness of companies, and how this creates increased customer value.
It is prepared for a total of nine exercises, seven of these are mandatory. The mandatory exercises have to be answered in writing, handed in and approved by the teacher. Submission deadlines will be specified in the task text.
3 hour written exam account for 100% of the grade in the course.
The grading will be done by using an A-F grading scale, where F is a fail.
A re-sit exam will be arranged for this course.
Arnold, Chapman & Clive (2016). Introduction to Materials Management. Pearson.The curriculum will also include copies of relevant topics and articles that will be handed out during the course, or made available for the students.
- Krajewski, Ritzman & Malhotra (2010). Operations Management. Prentice Hall.
- Vollman, Berry & Whybark (1997). Manufacturing Planning and Control Systems. McGraw-Hill.
- Segerstedt (2008). Logistik med fokus på material- og produksjonsstyrning. Liber.
- Mattsson & Jonsson (2003). Produktionslogistik. Studentlitteratur.
- Goldratt & Fox (1986). The Race. North River Press Inc.
- Cox III & Blackstone Jr. APICS Dictionary, 11. ed. APICS.