På grunn av koronasituasjonen kan det bli endringer i undervisning og eksamen høsten 2020. Informasjon om eventuelle endringer, kunngjøres direkte til studenter som er oppmeldt i emnet.
SOK-3555 Fisheries economics - 10 ECTS
Knowledge and understanding:
- has insight in bioeconomics theory
- understands the dynamics of different types of fisheries
- knows about fisheries management means, their properties and use I real fisheries
- knows how to apply theoretical models on real fisheries
- has a deep understanding of the models shortcomings and constraints
- has the mathematical knowledge to deduce a useful modelling approaches for bioeconomic analysis of different fisheries
- knows basic bioeconomics reference points and how they relate to each other
- can perform consequence analysis of different management actions on real fisheries, evaluating impacts management means have in the short and long run on biological and economic development of the fishery
- are able to adjust and modify standard models when necessary for a useful evaluation of a real fishery
- is able to integrate biological knowledge related to population dynamics with economic reasoning
- has a good theoretical background in bioeconomic principles which could be used in practical management tasks
- has knowledge to investigate the interplay between vessels/fishermen and fish stocks in open access fisheries and under varying management regimes
- has competence to present how bioeconomic theory is used in the analysis of selected fisheries, both nationally controlled and those in which two or more countries are involved
- can address practical issues related to the use of available data for establishing bioeconomic reference points
Written exam, 6 hours. The grading scale is A-F.
Course work requirements: Compulsory management game.
Participation in the written examination is conditional upon students having participated in the compulsory management game
A re-sit exam will be arranged for the written exam in the next semester.
- Ola Flaaten (2018). Fisheries and aquaculture economics. Bookboon.com ISBN 978-87-403-2281-1. Second edition.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954: The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery. The Journal of Political Economy, Vol. 62, No. 2. (Apr., 1954), pp. 124-142.
- Eide et al. (2003) Harvest Functions: The Norwegian Bottom Trawl Cod Fisheries.
- Hartwick and Olewiler, chapter 5
- Eide (2009). Economic principles: an economic perspective on fishing. Chapter 4 in the new Management Guide (by FAO)