ITE1814 Thermodynamics - 10 stp
- Thermodynamic systems
- Propoerty, state, proecss and equilibriuim
- Energy and first law of thermodynamics
- Energy transfer by work of heat
- Energy balance for systems and cycles
- Evaluating & retrieving thermodynamic properties of a system
- Tables of thermodynamic properties
- Conservation of mass and energy for a control volume
- Second law of thermodynamics
- Use of entropy
- Introduction to vapor power cycles
- Vapor refrigeration and heat pump systems
- Basics of heat transfer (conduction & convection)
This course aims to build the foundation for preparing students to get an understanding and work professionally in the area of thermodynamics and related processes. Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
- Describe the theories and concepts regarding thermodynamics & basic of heat transfer.
- Describe functions and practical usage of thermodynamic processes and related components, e.g. heat pumps, and cooling machines.
- Apply principles of engineering, basic science and mathematics to model, analyse, design and realize thermodynamics systems, components and processes.
- Perform technical calculations on systems as well as components within the technical area, e.g. dimensioning of heat exchangers, the heat factor of a heat pump, and the power consumption of a pump
Students will learn to apply their knowledge in the subject to solve general and specific problems in thermodynamics on a well-founded and understandable way. (LU -M -F 1..5 ) .
Students have a basis for assessing how the choice of process equipment and components have an impact on resource use , economics and security . (LU -M -G - 1..2 )
Michael J. Moran: Introduction to Thermal Systems Engineering: Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics and Heat Transfer
- Frank Kerith: The CRC handbook of Thermal Enginnering
- R. S. Amando & B. Sunden: Thermal Engineering in Power Systems
- R. K. Rajput: Thermal Engineering 8th Edition
- B. K. Sarkar: Thermal Engineering
- M. Moran: Principle of Engineering Thermodynamics 7th Edition
- Y. A. Cengel: Thermodynamics, An Engineering approach 7th Edition
- C. Borgnakke: Fundamental of Thermodynamics 7th Edition
Lectures Autumn 2018
prof. Muhammad Shakeel Virk