SOK-3073 In-depth study topics in Economics - 10 stp
The course is two-part, the first part gives the students a common basis for the work with the master's thesis. The second part gives the students individual specialization within the subject field / themes relevant to their own master's thesis. The course concludes with a semester thesis, the master thesis proposal (MTP), which forms the basis for writing the master thesis the following semester.
Part 1 (40%): The first part gives students a practical and theoretical introduction to the work with a master's thesis. Students are prepared to write their master's thesis, and the course will provide practical advice for task writing, as well as give the students the opportunity to present their own ideas in a well-prepared way. This section will contain writing courses, courses in research ethics, plagiarism, reference and use of reference tools, etc. There will be lectures where entrepreneurs from business and management present possible issues for master's theses. In addition, there will be a lecture where former master students tell about their experience from the work with the master's thesis. Compulsory work requirements for this part will be a group work (groups of 3 students) where a minimum of 2 pages must be written. Here the students will learn how to design a professional issue based on ideas from business and management presentations. The problem (s) should be justified and anchored in a professional perspective / approach.
Part 2 (60%): (from the beginning of October) This part of the course aims at providing students with insight into current research within relevant fields of study, as well as helping students to develop an independent proposal for a problem with a professional approach to their master's thesis. The students, in cooperation with the supervisor, will prepare an individual curriculum list with a selection of scientific articles and key empirical works. Through lectures and self-study they will get an overview of issues, theories and methods that provide breadth and depth in selected sections of the subject field. The students will in the course present their own suggestions for topics / phenomena and issues for potential master assignments. These proposals will be discussed in community and further developed into a semester assignment delivered at the end of the course. Mandatory work requirements here are based on the development of own master thesis proposal (MTP). Individual or groups of 2 students will prepare a proposal for a problem for the master's thesis, where a report, minimum 2 pages, and the proposal will be presented / discussed in the relevant subject group.
A graduate with completed qualification shall have the following total learning outcomes defined in knowledge, skills and general competence:
The candidate ...
- Has broad and general knowledge of research within specified field of study and profound knowledge of a defined field of specialization that can form the basis for a master's thesis
- Has advanced knowledge of theoretical concepts and ideas relevant within their own field of specialization have in-depth knowledge and understanding of how practical issues can be rooted in theoretical concepts, theories and models within specified field of study
- Can develop and present a problem based on the traditions and history of specific fields.
The candidate ...
- Can analyze existing theories, methods and interpretations within the specific subject area and can work independently with practical and theoretical problem solving
- Can formulate a problem and write in writing and analyze relevant theories related to the problem
- Can analyze and apply different sources of information / theoretical contributions to formulate and structure relevant reasoning for the problem area of a choice as a specialization and focus in its master thesis proposal
- Can develop an independent, limited and feasible research project based on professional knowledge
The candidate ...
- Can analyze relevant research ethical issues within the specific field of study
- Can apply their knowledge and skills in new areas to complete a later Master's thesis
- Communicate a problem in the form of a later master's thesis within the field of specialization, both to specialists and to the general public
- Communicate with different target groups on professional and applied issues, analyzes, conclusions and recommendations within the subject
- Can continue to develop own competence development and specialization on the subject on an independent basis
Semester Thesis - Master Thesis Proposal - (100%)
Grade A - F where A is the best grade and F is not passed.
Work requirements (mandatory):
1 written work requirement on part 1 (group of 3 students)
1 written work requirement on part 2 (individually or groups of 2 students)
1 oral presentation on part 2 (presentation of written work part 2)
There is no continuation exam on the subject. Place of examination: Tromsø
Date for examinationTerm paper hand in date 14.12.2018
Del 1 hand in date 05.10.2018
Del 2 hand in date 09.11.2018
The date for the exam can be changed. The final date will be announced in the StudentWeb early in May and early in November.